How to Bet on Table Tennis
As much fun as it is to play table tennis, there’s plenty of excitement and money to be gained when betting on it. Table tennis betting saw a significant boost during the pandemic, and many bettors have stuck with it long after mainstream sports returned.
With sports betting legalized in Arizona, bettors inside the state can bet on a variety of different table tennis markets. The sport is governed by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), and there are several table tennis leagues, and some of the most popular are China Table Tennis Super League, Bundesliga, Russia Premier League, and more.
Some of the most popular events include the Olympics, World Table Tennis Championships, and Table Tennis World Cup. Bettors can place wagers on some of the sport’s top players including Fan Zhendong, Xu Xin, and Ma Long.
Below find some of the basics of table tennis betting, the different betting types, and some table tennis betting tips to help you hit the ground running.
Top sportsbooks for betting on table tennis in Arizona
Why you should bet on table tennis
Table tennis is a thrilling sport to bet on, and it can be very appealing to sports bettors looking to earn a profit. It doesn’t get nearly the attention that the weekly NFL odds does, obviously, but there is a decent volume of bets being placed on the sport. Though with less attention dedicated to the odds, the better chance there is for bettors to find an edge on the sportsbooks.
Because many table tennis matches are played outside of the United States, matches take place at unusual hours for sports in the U.S. This can give bettors a way to entertain themselves as they wait for the major American sports to get started that particular day. Additionally, live betting while the match is going on can make for an exciting wagering experience.
Bet on table tennis in Arizona
To bet on Table Tennis in Arizona, you’re going to need a place to play. You’ll want to make sure that the online sportsbooks that you choose are of the legal variety. All of our recommended options fit the bill, and you can be up and running in just a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do.
- Click the links on this page.
- Complete the registration process.
- Claim your bonus and deposit funds.
- Get ready to bet.
If you take care of the signup process on the web, be sure to download the mobile app right from the sportsbook website and login. You can take the legal sportsbooks with you on the go, but you must be within state lines to place bets. This will be confirmed with geolocation tracking software.
The registration process itself is simple and straightforward. You’ll be asked for some basic info like name, address, and last four digits of your social. The legal shops have to verify your identity and legal age. If there’s any trouble doing so, you’ll be asked to provide additional documentation.
The sportsbook bonuses found on this page can help you hit the ground running, and there are plenty of different deposit options to be found at the top shops. Table Tennis is still technically a niche sport, but you’ll find it available at many sportsbooks. Here are three of our recommended Arizona sportsbooks that you’ll definitely want to check out.
- BetMGM Sportsbook Arizona
BetMGM has grown to be one of the top options for sports bettors in a number of legal states. There’s a great selection of sports available for betting and lots of wager types to be found, all of which are tucked inside of a slick platform.
- WynnBET Sportsbook Arizona
WynnBET continues to make big strides with its smooth sportsbook and solid selection of betting markets. If you’re looking for a simple place to play that’s very user friendly and visually appealing, this is it.
- Caesars Sportsbook Arizona
Caesars has been announcing its arrival as a major player in sports betting in a big way. That’s fantastic news for bettors as there are plenty of intriguing promos to be found as you explore this top notch sportsbook.
Types of table tennis bets
The official rules of table tennis might be a little bit different from the way you play with your friends, family, or coworkers, but here’s a quick overview of the rules and formatting:
Table tennis matches are typically the best of five series with games played up to 11 points with players receiving two serves each alternating. Games must be won by two points and if the game is tied at 10-10, players will alternate serves after one point for the duration of the game.
Below is a look at some of the major table tennis betting types that will be available to wager on.
- Match lines: The match lines can essentially be looked at as the moneyline, where bettors can simply bet on who will win a particular match. Just like in other sports, the potential payout for the favorite to win would be less than the underdog to pull off an upset victory.
- Game props: Bettors can choose which individual games will be won between the opponents. One side could be better as the match gets going, so there could be more value to be had after game No. 1.
- Point props: One of the major point props could be the total number of points that will be scored in a particular match. Bettors have to take into account how many games it will last and how competitive both opponents will be in predicting the correct number.
- Match props: An example of a match prop could be overall match point spread where the oddsmakers handicap how many points the favorite is expected to win by, and bettors may choose which side to place action on.
- Futures: For some of the biggest table tennis events on the schedule, futures bets may be available. This refers to odds for an event that could even be months away from occurring. It’s interesting to see how the futures markets move as it gets closer to the date of the event. Because there are usually a large number of potential outcomes and so much can happen in this time frame, payouts for winning bets could be significant.
Live betting on table tennis
One of the most exciting new markets to be had in sports betting is the introduction of live betting. Live betting is a very popular style of betting, and it refers to placing bets as the match is going on. Bettors will need to be on their toes as numbers and odds will adjust rapidly by the second as they react to the latest happenings in the match. If bettors get their wagers in at the optimal time before the odds move against them, there is value to be had in the live betting markets during a table tennis match.
Sportsbook apps are a huge part of legal sports betting in the United States, and the ease of use lends itself to be a fantastic avenue for live betting. Bettors can pull out their phones while they’re following a match and place bets at the most advantageous spots. To find an edge, researching before the event is crucial in live wagering. If it takes a player longer to get rolling and find their groove, it might make sense to bet against that player in the first game and pick them to succeed as the match continues into the later games. Additionally, momentum can be difficult to predict, but there is another area where you could gain a bit of an advantage over oddsmakers.
Professional table tennis leagues & tournaments
There is no shortage of leagues for bettors to place wagers on, but there are a few that stand out as the most popular and likely receive a large handle of the table tennis betting action. As mentioned earlier, China Table Tennis Super League, Bundesliga, and Russia Premier League are some of the most popular table tennis leagues. A few others are the French Pro A-League, Austrian Premier League, Swedish Elite League, and Belgian Super Division.
The biggest events throughout the table tennis season include the Summer Olympics, World Team Championships, World Cup as well as the ITTF World Tour Grand Finals, and there are plenty of events on both the men’s and women’s circuits as well as singles and double competitions. Below is a condensed schedule of some of the top table tennis events for bettors to wager on.
- European Individual Championships (Warsaw, Poland)
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (Tokyo, Japan)
- South American Veteran Championships (Salta, Argentina)
- Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games (Tokyo, Japan)
- ITTF African Championships (Yaounde, Cameroon)
- 2021 European Team Championships (Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
- 2021 European U21 Championships (Spa, Belgium)
- World Table Tennis Championship Finals (Houston, Texas)
Who are the top table tennis players in the US?
The United States continues to develop plenty of talent in the table tennis community. Kanak Jha has developed into the top player in the country as he won the US National Table Tennis Championships each year from 2016-19. Other top American competitors include Lily Zhang, who continues to be a force on the women’s side, as well as other notables like Nikhil Kumar and Jun Gao.
How to bet on Olympic table tennis
Table tennis will typically enter into the mainstream sports discussion in the United States every four years during the Summer Olympics. Table tennis can be difficult to find on TV, but plenty of the action will be aired during the Olympics. Whether you intend to dive into the numbers and find the best betting edge or simply want to entertain yourself by wagering on the Americans in the event, the Olympics will likely see more action year over year.
Table tennis betting strategy & tips
So how can you make money off table tennis betting? Here are a few simple tips as you are set to begin your table tennis wagering career.
- Bet matches instead of futures: Looking at the futures betting markets can be entertaining but in the long run, you are much more likely to find consistent winners wagering on betting types that have just two outcomes like betting on an individual match. Futures are incredibly difficult to predict, and the wagering odds are heavily in the sportsbook’s favor.
- Bet games over points: Bettors can fall into the habit of wagering on individual points, which can be exciting, but over the long haul, the best table tennis player will likely come out on top in a particular game. Individual points can be lucky, but the more skilled player wins more games than not.
- Study table tennis trends: Be sure to do your homework before placing your next table tennis wager. One example where you can take advantage of live betting is if a player is very good at battling back after losing a game, there might be value in wagering on them to get even by winning the next game.
Where to look for table tennis results/scores/news/info?
While table tennis continues to grow in popularity, information on the sport can be difficult to track. Google searches should point you in the right direction in what you’re looking for in some of the larger events on the sport’s calendar. Some places to look include the ITTF official website as well as the Team USA table tennis page. Scores for individual events are easily findable online. Additionally, you can check your preferred sportsbook for the latest table tennis betting odds.
Sportsbook rules for table tennis betting
It’s important to check the rules and regulations for the sportsbook you are utilizing and with any questions, their customer service should be an efficient way for you to get the answers you are looking for. If there is a match that cannot go on for whatever reason, there are a few main options sportsbooks may consider including the following:
- Ball served: Operators may say bets are fair game once the first ball is served to start the match.
- First set: Some sportsbooks will require one full set to take place for the bet to go through.
- Second set: Some books want two sets completed.
- Match completed: Some operators want the entire match to be finished for any bets to be counted.
Who is the governing body for table tennis?
Table tennis is governed worldwide by the ITTF and below them, there can be governing bodies responsible for continents like the European Table Tennis Union or even individual countries like USA Table Tennis.
Individual sports like table tennis could lead to match-fixing, but through the legalization of sports betting in different countries including the United States, sportsbooks are constantly monitoring any suspicious activity in the gambling markets. Integrity in sports betting is among the most crucial parts of operating an efficient system, and operators are skilled in tracking them down. For example, fixed table tennis matches were identified in Ukraine during the pandemic.
To be as safe as possible, research the leagues and the countries they operate in before placing wagers. The longer the organization has been in existence and the more popular the events are, the less likely anything suspicious will go on.